For those Vancouver homes with older furnaces, upgrades may be required to ensure you can continue to effectively heat your living space. To this end, installing a new furnace is a great option to keep your home comfortable all winter long.
A High-Efficiency Unit Might Be Right for You
When seeking a furnace upgrade, many homeowners choose to replace their existing models with high-efficiency gas furnaces. The improved operation afforded by such models is wholly evident by a furnace’s Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating. In general, high-efficiency furnaces offer a rating between 90% and 95%, meaning superior operation is possible. A unit with an AFUE rating of 90% entails only 10% of the fuel used to heat a home will be turned into exhaust gases, with the remaining 90% fully allotted towards heating.
Features of High-Efficiency Furnaces
High-efficiency furnaces contain numerous features that offer many benefits to homeowners seeking enhanced heating in their home. These includes the following:
Automatic Vent Damper – An automatic vent damper can go a long way towards improving a furnace’s thermal efficiency. This is thanks to automatic restriction of used fuel when the unit’s burner is inactive. The automatic vent damper is part of the reason why these unit’s have such great AFUE ratings.
Electronic Ignition Technology – An equally important feature is the electronic ignition technology, which prevents the need for a pilot light. Pilot lights must continuously burn, thereby using energy when not actually necessary. Conversely, electronic ignition technology is only activated when a furnace is in use, resulting in diminished fuel waste.
Regulated Air Flow – Improved air flow induction also plays a role in increased efficiency. In addition, this feature also results in safer operation overall.
A More Efficient Furnace for Your Home
When it’s time for the inevitable furnace upgrade, a high-efficiency model can be a good option for many homeowners. While older units can incur higher costs due to less-than-satisfactory operation, a more efficient model can save money while also functioning at peak capacity.