In your home, you have several maintenance tasks you must perform throughout the year to not only keep it efficient but also, safe. One of those to-dos that is frequently forgotten (or simply unknown) is that of cleaning the gas fireplace.
Did you know that even with a gas fireplace you should clean it throughout the year? It is a common misconception among homeowners that gas fireplaces are maintenance-free because they do not have the ash or soot of a regular wood-burning fireplace. You should clean it regularly, however, to keep it running efficiently.
How Do You Clean a Gas Fireplace?
- Turn Everything Off – The most critical step is to make sure your gas valve is in the off position. Then, wait until everything in the gas fireplace cools down.
- Vacuum – Look for dust or debris build-up on the burner and control area. Vacuum it using a suitable attachment. You should also remove any spider webs you find inside.
- Clean Logs – Gas fireplaces typically have logs to give the feel of a real fireplace. Take them outside and brush away dirt using a clean paint brush. Be careful with these logs, because they are often easily broken or cracked. If you notice any signs of corrosion, rust, or they are broken, do not use the fireplace until you have them replaced.
- Clean the Glass – Next, use a wood stove glass cleaner and spray it on a dry cloth. Clean the glass carefully, but do not spray directly onto the glass. Never use standard window cleaner; instead, use only those for fireplace or stove glass. Clean the outside of the glass first, then work your way to the inside.
- Clean the Exterior – Using a clean, damp cloth, wipe the exterior areas of the fireplace. Never use abrasive or chemical cleaners, because these may heat up and emit dangerous fumes.
- Deep Clean – If it has been a while since you have cleaned your gas fireplace, then you may have a build up of soot on the glass. Mix up a small amount of dish soap (ammonia free only) with water. Then gently wash away any grit, rinse, and dry clean. Alternately, there are products specifically designed to clean the glass on gas fireplaces that leave a protective residue, these can be purchased through us, or a Hearth store.
Need Help in Richmond?
Sometimes it is best to call in a professional to clean a gas fireplace.
The team at CampbellCare Plumbing, Heating & Air can assist you with your gas fireplace cleaning. Our team will not only clean your gas fireplace, but we will do a multi-point inspection to ensure that your components are safe. After all, you not only want an efficient gas fireplace but one that is safe to use no matter what time of the year you use it.
Call CampbellCare today to book an appointment for your gas fireplace cleaning in Surrey or the Richmond area. Call now at 604-337-0498 or contact us online to schedule your appointment.