HOT WATER HEATER MAINTENANCE
Hot Water Heater Maintenance
Staying up to date on hot water heater maintenance is akin to following the service manual for your vehicle. It ensures the longest possible life for the hot water heater while also reducing the possibility of unexpected failures.
For common items to be looking for with respect to known trouble areas for hot water heaters, read our page on hot water heater troubleshooting.
COMMON MAINTENANCE ITEMS FOR HOT WATER TANKS (GAS AND ELECTRIC)
- Anode rod: The purpose of the anode rod (made of zinc) is to corrode so that your tank does not. It is crucial to check the rod and replace it when needed. The replacement may be required if there is more than 6 inches of the core steel wire is exposed, if the rod is less than 1/2 inch thick, or if the rod is coated with calcium.
- Flush and clean the tank: Depending on how hard the water is in your area this may need to be done up to two times per year. Cleaning the sediment out of your water tank will contribute to a longer and more efficient life for your hot water heater.
- Test the temperature-pressure relief valve: While extremely rare, hot water tanks can explode. The purpose of your temperature-pressure relief valve is to prevent this from happening. Quickly discharge the valve two or three times to ensure it is working. Keep an eye out for small leaks from the valve afterwards.
COMMON MAINTENANCE ITEMS FOR TANKLESS WATER HEATERS
- Remove lime scale – As part of the ongoing maintenance make sure that the heat exchanger elements are free of limescale buildup. Even when it looks like minimal coating on your heat exchanger, it can have a serious impact on the efficiency of the system leading to possibly a short lifespan of your tankless water heater.
- Rinse the filter – Tankless water heaters, while immensely more efficient than most of the “tank” versions of the same in BC today require diligent maintenance of some items. The filter is one of those items. The build-up in the filter can disrupt the flow of water, lowering the pressure of the water. That’s the best-case scenario. Worst case? A complete failure of the tankless water heater.
- Check for sediment, remove if present – Sediment settling on the heating elements, intake/outflow valves, and the activation mechanism. Sediment seems innocuous enough, but if left on the activation mechanism your hot water heater may operate constantly or uncontrollably. In this case, it could be as minor as arbitrarily and unnecessarily raising your utility bills, or it could lead to the premature burnout of the water heater.
As part of our CampbellCare Club program, an annual hot water heater tune-up is included in the cost of the membership. We recommend that homeowners who are uncomfortable or unable to perform the above maintenance items themselves book a hot water heater tune-up. Get in touch with our team and see how we can help!
Air ConditionersPREMATURE AIR CONDITIONER FAILURE HOW DOES A CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONER WORK? TERMS & PHRASES AIR CONDITIONER BASIC MAINTENANCE Air Conditioner FAQ
FurnacesHOW DOES A FURNACE WORK? WHY FURNACES FAIL Furnaces Terms & Phrases FURNACE BASIC MAINTENANCE Furnaces FAQ
Hot Water HeatersHOT WATER HEATER MAINTENANCE TROUBLESHOOTING YOUR HOT WATER HEATER TYPES OF HOT WATER HEATERS HOW DOES A HOT WATER HEATER WORK? KEEPING YOUR HOT WATER HEATER MAINTAINED
Serving BC Since 1981
We’ve worked hard for over 30 years to build a reputation based on responsiveness, trust, and customer satisfaction.
Whether you’re looking to install new equipment, or repair existing equipment, you can trust the experts at CampbellCare.
TSBC Licence #3270
We know how important your time is to you- that's why we are guaranteed to arrive within the one-hour appointment window we book! We don't want you waiting around wondering where your plumber or HVAC technician is. Count on us to arrive on time, every time.
We know that our people are our best product! That’s why we invest in ongoing training, top of the line equipment, and offer compensation that is sure to satisfy.
7063 Venture St.Delta, BC V4G 1H8
6045 West Boulevard, Vancouver, BC V6M 3X2